Saturday, April 21, 2012

Versailles was closed

Peur du jour- 16 Avril 2012: Being flexible

On Monday, Elyse and I had planned to spend a wonderful day at Versailles. We stopped by the boulangerie (bakery) on the way to the metro to get breakfast (pastries and baguettes... being poor sure is delicious!) and a picnic lunch (sandwhiches! yum!) to enjoy in the beautiful gardens of Versailles. When we got to Versailles, we quickly found the chateau and excitedly made our way to the tourist office to buy tickets. But when I asked for our free student tickets, the woman behind the counter gave me a blank stare and said "you know that the castle is closed today, right?"

D'oh.

So Elyse and I wandered into a Starbucks in search of free wifi so we could salvage our day and get on with the adventuring! It always throws me through a loop when plans fall through because I plan EVERYTHING, so then I have to change all of the plans that were around the original plans. But one of my goals in coming to France was to become a little more go-with-the-flow, so that's what Elyse and I did! We took the train back to Paris and shuffled a few items in the week around and this is what my day ended up looking like:

While waiting to meet up with Lauren, we ate our sandwiches on the steps of Montmartre with a spectacular view of Paris, sunshine on our faces, and the melodies of quintessentially French songs being played by a harpist in our ears.
Sacre-Coeur



 We wandered from Sacre-Coeur to les jardins de Tuileries where we stopped by Angelina's for the best cup of hot chocolate in Paris.

Angelina's hot chocolate = like drinking brownies straight from the oven


We walked les jardins de Tuileries from start to finish
Lauren and Me; Le musée du Louvre- one end of les tuileries



 We walked to the place where the guillotine sat during the French revolution.
La place de la concorde
 We took a stroll down Paris's most famous street.
Il y a tout ce que vous voulez aux champs-elysées
 We marveled at one of Paris's most iconic monuments
L'arc de triomphe
 And then we marveled at another one.
Elyse and me; La tour Eiffel
Basically, Paris wooed me with its history and charm and nice weather (even if it was only for that day!). Which I had really been needing. Paris, je t'aime.

No comments:

Post a Comment