Friday, April 20, 2012

Pastis, or, the first liquor I ever had in Vence

Peur du jour - 09 Avril 2012: Trying everything at least once

I'm not sure why, but I have had the weirdest first drinks ever. My first drink ever was here in France and it was muscat wine. Not your typical frat party beverage... My first beer was a Guiness on Saint Patrick's Day at a pub in Montpellier. Definitely a VERY strong first beer choice. And now, I can say that in Vence, France, I had my first liquor: Pastis. This is a licorice flavored liquor that is a specialty in the South of France.

We (Marc, Tammy, and their friend Nina) went to Vence and Saint-Paul for the day both of which are fortified medieval villages which are now havens for artists. There were art galleries everywhere, brimming with tableau after tableau of the French countryside. We ate lunch in Vence, and I had a myriad of incredibly delicious French dishes and my first encounter with that beast they call Pastis. Here is the photo progression:


Smile! Pastis!


First Sip


Candid reaction


As you can see, it was not my favorite. It was just a very strong and overpowering flavor to eat with our black-olive tapenade. Though, according to Marc, this is a perfect combination and is truly "Southern  France Living." So if you're feeling adventurous, or looking for a way to put yourself on the sunny shores of Southern France (Uncle Tom, this one's for you!), enjoy a glass of Pastis (don't forget to add water)! Maybe you'll like it more than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment