Monday, April 2, 2012

Dancin' in the streets

Peur du jour: 1 Avril 2012: Flash mob

First things first, FLASH MOB (this is how the French say it too!). I have always wanted to be in one (it's on my bucket list actually), and I can't believe I got the opportunity to do it in France. It wasn't exactly what I had always pictured in my head; in many ways it was better!
 

One of the girls from La Source choreographed it, we learned it, and then we taught it to the other aumôneries (church groups) at the Catholic Conference. We performed it after la messe de rameaux (Palm Sunday) as a surprise for the local parishioners. So, it was fairly private as flash mobs go, but it was still great. Once I get the video and pictures I will be sure to put it up!

Practicing for our flash mob


I think what I liked most about it was that it was a flash mob for the glory of God. I can't think of a better purpose to dance like a fool in broad daylight.


Suzanne and Colette jammin' on the keyboard


Another few dancing/music highlight of my week were:
  1.  Being in a conga line between a nun and a monk. Catholics know how to party.
  2. Kind of awkward slow-jam keyboard percussion beats during evening prayer.
  3. Learning Senegalese hymns!  This link is maybe the cutest thing ever. The song basically says: "I praise you with my mouth. If I don't have a mouth, I praise you with my feet. If I don't have feet, I praise you with my heart. If I don't have a heart, it's because I'm praising you in heaven."
  4. Holding back laughter with a friend during mass because of the formerly noted awkward slow-jam keyboard percussion beats.  
The wonderful South-African choir that performed all weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment