Sunday, January 22, 2012

Make a wish in Arles and Saintes-Maries-de-la-mer

Peur du jour: 21 Janvier 2012- Eating lots of new French things

Yesterday I went on a day trip to Arles and Saintes-Marie-De-La-Mer (can we just talk about how I saw the Mediterranean sea for the first time in my life and I loved it and it was just as beautiful as I had ever dreamed it would be?). Arles is a town full of Roman Ruins, a beautiful market, and was an area in which Van Gough painted many of his works. Arles is also the town where I fell in love with French food.

My first encounter with the food in Arles was at the enormous market where they had everything from produce and olives,
Des courges muscads (a pumpkin like gourd)

 to exotic spices and honey,
Easily my favorite stand-- it's so nice to see and smell such beautiful spices!

 to baked confections and mounds of baguettes,

The Famous French Macarons
to sausages, cheeses, and different cuts of meat.
Unidentified animal leg-- any guesses?

 I tried many samples (olives, cheese, bread, macarons, sausage, honey) and even learned from an olive vendor that when one tries a new food, one is supposed to make a wish. I made so many wishes in Arles!

For lunch, I had my first traditional French meal since being here.  Our tour guide Jean-Paul invited those who were so inclined to join him to déjeuner at his favorite restaurant in Arles L'escaladou to experience la cuisine Provençale. I decided that the time had arrived to have a meal worth more than my normal under-one-euro-American-style-sandwhich (which remained isolated in my lunch bag all day).  Dining with a native (Jean-Paul is Occitan) really enhanced the cultural experience! A friend and I shared our meals so we got to try a lot of different things:

 Les Escargots de la Mer
La soupe du possoin: fish soup with crusty bread topped with Rouille (saffron and mayonaise) and Parmesan cheese
(Photo Credit to Maggie Grossman!)









Le Lapin aux herbes provençales: Rabbit with provencial herbs (this sauce was so good!)

La Boeuf Guardian: a traditional dish made with beef from the bulls which are raised in the Camargue (the delta region of the Rhone River) , olives, and rice which is grown in the Camargue
Photo Credit: Michelle Lewis

Ile Flottant: Crème Anglaise topped with meringue (whipped egg whites)- really very good
 Nougat Glace: a sort of ice cream dish with honey and whipped cream

 As you can see, I am going quite hungry in France. We all left the restaurant with stupid grins on our faces. Trying new foods that you immensely enjoy is just such a metaphor for life (it's about to get cheesy).  In a broader sense, I realize that there is so much out there in the world that I haven't even discovered and which will bring me immense joy (people, places, cultures, vocations, ministries). It's a really liberating experience and I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to experience so many new things.



One of my wishes came true (I'll keep you posted on the others):

6 comments:

  1. I like this picture with the Med in the background - exactly where was that taken? Arles is slightly inland of a large preserve correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was taken at Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer which is essentially straight south of Arles. It is indeed a preserve of the Camargue (the delta region of the Rhone river). On our way to Saintes-Maries we saw flamingos and the camargue horses and bulls!

      Delete
    2. One of the first places I ever went mountain bike riding was not too far from there - at Bandol near the Fregate Hotel/Resort. I remember getting a flat tire on a gravel road that overlooked the Med - that was way back in 2001 - we had an international R&D meeting there

      Delete
  2. Kathleen,
    now your talking the food looks fablous and you again have done a great job of describing all.
    Take Care, uncle tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on touring a vineyard when I go to the Côte d'Azur over February. I'll definitely take lots of pictures and hopefully will learn enough to describe!

      Delete