Tuesday, January 10, 2012

American and I know it

Peur du jour: 9 Janvier 2011- Just Being Me

There has been a lot of talk since we have been here about how to blend in with the French and adapt more to their culture. This is all well and good. I agree that I don't need to talk so loud in the street. I don't need to speak English with people with whom I can speak French. I left my American clothes back in America (except for my UNC t-shirts. I need those to sleep, exercise, and watch the basketball games in!).

One thing that has been particularly hard for me is to adopt the culture of barriers that many French people put up when they are in public. Our program director has said it is necessary to give up some of our freedom of personality (smiling, laughing, etc. in public) to gain some freedom of privacy and safety. When I think of Americans, I think of a big, happy golden retriever with a goofy grin on his face. Happy to see his friends, loud and raucous when he plays, and eager to meet new friends! Of course, this isn't accurate of all Americans, but I'd say it's pretty accurate to how I feel around the beautiful and reserved French toy poodles (I mean this with absolutely no malice, just trying to complete the metaphor). Though, I may just feel this way because being tall and blonde makes me stick out like a sore thumb among all of the petite, dark-haired French women. C'est la vie.

I'd say that finding the medium between walking around with dagger eyes and my normal smile-at-every-person-you-make-eye-contact-with-because-it's-nice-to-do-so-and-you-might-brighten-someone's-day philosophy is going to take a while. But just for now, I don't mind being American. Why you ask?

Yes, being obviously American can attract unwanted attention (pick pockets, unwanted advances from males, etc.)--and believe me, I take these things seriously--but it also can attract the attention of people who might like you because you are American. The other day a guy from the Netherlands wandered over to a herd of us under the Aqueduct and introduced himself. I'm assuming that if we had been acting like the discrete and somewhat-closed-off-in-public French people, he might not have been as drawn to us. Yesterday at a Crepe stand a professor from Arizona State University asked us to translate some ingredients of off the menu. He was a really cool guy and it was so nice to just see someone and have a friendly conversation and not have to feel that "what-do-you-want-from-me-because-I've-been-told-French-people-are-up-to-no-good" feeeling.


Moral of the story: I will try my best to learn and adapt in France. I will keep myself away from unsavory people and not call attention to myself at night. I will not be obnoxious or rude or anything like that. But I'm never going to wipe the smile off of my face because I feel like it makes me stand out. Je suis américaine, for better or for worse.



Un sandwhich américain- Hamburger patty and French fries in a baguett.


Me, living up to the stereotype (at least my pinky is out?) Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment