Sunday, May 13, 2012

Tout est bien qui finit bien

What I love about Montpellier 
  1. The rocky mediterranean soil, the twisting branches of olive trees and grape vines, the clusters of poppies and rununculus and edelweiss and wild thyme.
  2. The way the marble streets shimmer as they reflect the street lights.
  3. The dinging of the tram, the melodic tune of SNCF announcements at the train station, and the clanging of church bells.
  4. The feeling of the sun on my back during picnics at Peyrou, promenades through the esplanade, and bike rides to the beach.
  5. That anything worth celebrating is accompanied by wine and a good meal.
  6. Houses clothed in stucco and topped with red tiles.
  7. The bewildered look I receive when I say my name for the first time. 
  8. And the way French people just can't quite say my name correctly.
  9. The wind rivaling that of my home, the windy city. 
  10. The way speaking French makes you pucker your mouth like you're blowing a kiss with every word you say. 
  11. The blue lights that illuminate the chateau d'eau and the aqueduct at night and heighten its sense of magic and history.
  12. When people ask me for directions and I can actually direct them. In French. 
  13.  Walking through la place de la comédie and down la rue de la loge and hearing every sort of jazz band and string quartet and acoustic guitarist. 
  14. Standing at the chateau d'eau and looking at pic saint-loup and  la mer mediterranée
  15. Kissing someone's cheeks (three times!) every time you say hello and goodbye. 
  16. How no meal is complete without a big hunk of crusty bread.
  17. Trying something new at the market every Saturday. 
  18. The way people yell "courage" at you as you go for a run as if you're heading off to war. 
  19. The obsession with MacDo (McDonalds) and sandwhiches américaines and kebabs
  20. My God-given family in Montpellier. How I've loved them without hesitation and without abandon and how they've loved me. How they have lifted my spirits and warmed my heart. It's for them that I know I'll be coming back here.
 A très bientôt, Montpellier. Gros bisous.

No comments:

Post a Comment