Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Guten appetit!

Peur du jour- 16 Mai 2012: Conceding

 On Wednesday mornings, the bread truck comes. Around 8:30, we heard a loud honk announcing its arrival. I watched the neighbors crowd around the back of the truck in the brisk gray morning similar to the way kids crowd around the side of an ice cream truck.

Now, I thought that I had earned the right to be a pastry snob. France does millefeuilles and réligeuses and pains au chocolat and escargots brioches and and croissants aux amandes and every other delicious thing you could imagine. What on earth could possibly come off the back of a German truck that could be tastier than what you purchase straight from the oven in France?

I stood deliriously corrected.
So delicious I didn't even want to take it out of my lap to photograph it.
The Germans understand that the chocolate is the best part of a pain au chocolat. So not only is the whole thing FILLED with Schokolade, but also the ends are dipped in it. The end result: chocolate with every bite. I feel cheated by those skimpy French pastries that contain only a single nugget of chocolate.

Deutschland ist wunderschön.

1 comment:

  1. You're right! Once someone in the States mentioned to me: The Germans and the Swiss try to ameliorate things and try and try...until they are completely satisfied....We were talking about my permanent attempt to optimize a piece of equipment in the lab...The same thing with the 'refinement' of (originally) Frensh pastry...motto: You can always do a little better;-)

    ReplyDelete