Friday, March 2, 2012

Stinky cheese

Peur du jour- 2 Mars 2012: Roquefort

I'd kind of been sad that I hadn't been having the same cheese adventures as a lot of the other students here seem to be having.  One of my close friends is very into trying new cheeses and has a cheese course at dinner every night, but my family is much more casual than that. However, a couple of nights ago it came up in conversation during dinner that I had never tried Roquefort cheese, so my host mother took it upon herself to get some for me to try.

Note the moissisure (mold)

So I'm not sure if a French person would laugh at me for calling Roquefort a strong cheese. It's a type of blue cheese which is made in Roquefort (about an hour and a half away from Montpellier). Because it's made so close to Montpellier, it seems to be pretty popular. I've even heard talk of visiting the Roquefort caves where you can buy the stinky cheese straight from its stinky den! I was the only one brave enough to try it (Jessie doesn't really like strong cheeses and Daniel said he was going to wait to see my reaction first), but I'm willing to try everything at least once. I'm not sure if I will ever find myself craving this, but it was alright the way my host mother told me to eat it (on bread with lots and lots of butter!).



3 comments:

  1. Did you steer clear of that especially big black patch in the corner? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was impossible to steer clear of anything. I used the "close your eyes and think of England" method.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be good crumbled with some dried cherries on a bed of greens with some Olive Oil and balsamic...save some for me

    ReplyDelete