Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Parlatz occitan?

Cutural Lesson #3: Occitan Culture 

So (according to Wikipedia), Occitania is the region in Southern Europe (mainly France, Monoco, some parts of Italy, and some parts of Spain) where Occitan was historically the main language spoken. In fact Languedoc-Roussillon (the region of France to which Montpellier belongs) is a derivative of "langue d'oc" or language occitan.

Now, there is a man who works at Accent Français who is Occitan and who is just about the coolest person you will ever meet. He speaks a plethora of languages (Occitan, French, English, Spanish, Italian, German, bits and pieces of Japanese, etc. etc.), knows the history and culture of all of the towns worth visiting in the South of France, and plays a wooden flute everywhere he goes. He is in charge of cultural excursions at Accent Français, and today he organized a couple of hours of teaching Occitan Dancing for those who were interested.

You all know how much I love dancing, so of course I went! It was a wonderful way to spend a sunny spring afternoon in Montpellier. I wish I had pictures, but I was so busy busting a move that I wasn't able to capture any. We learned something like four to five different circle dances (I wish I'd know them before I went to Avignon!) in the Place du Peyrou where many a tourist gaped at the spectacle we were making.


And, after a quick youtube search, you are in so much luck! This is from a few years ago, but it is the same dance and the same Jean-Paul (our Occitan guide!).



Can't wait to bring it back to Chapel Hill! It'll be a thing, just you wait.



PS) Here is a picture of me and my friend practicing our moves. I think it's safe to say that we mastered the dances!
Photo by Beth Moroney

No comments:

Post a Comment