Sunday, March 25, 2012

Le jazz


Cultural Lesson # 2: Le jazz français


If anyone is looking for some good French music recommendations, I have some! I haven't been able to stop listening to a few artists recently, and they're so good that I have been trying to find excuses to share them with people. 


The first artist is ZAZ who is described as a pop singer with gypsy jazz influences. Le jazz manouche (or gypsy jazz) was born in the 1930s with group of gypsy musicians called Djanjo. Originally, this music was sans percussion and relied heavily on acoustic guitar and also the violin, clarinet, and accordion. A rhythmic guitar replaced the traditional percussion set-up. Most of her music makes use of traditional percussion, but you can still just feel the influence of the jazz manouche.


ZAZ- Ni oui ni non(2010)






The second artist is Le Comptoir des Fous. This group, self described as swing'n'roll is actually from Montpellier! They remind me a lot of the zydeco music to which I've listened, and I just feel like eating a big bowl of gumbo and dancing on Bourbon Street when I'm listening to them. They should blast this in the Tar Heel locker room to get our boys motivated (Go Heels!).

Le comptoir des fous- Pourquoi s'emmerder



Happy swinging!

No comments:

Post a Comment